WARNING: This government will be hazardous to your health
Congress is moving to pass a suite of bills that could decimate our nation’s system for crafting public safeguards like safety requirements for airplanes, food safety, and toxic air pollution. These bills, advanced under the misleading name of “regulatory reform” sound innocuous, but they would dramatically increase red tape and industry lobbyist influence – eviscerating bedrock statutory protections for American communities.Tell your Senator to protect our health.
If the Regulatory Accountability Act were to pass, the development of any new protections – new clean air protections, new food safety requirements, new care standards for veterans, new child safety regulations – would be subject to a range of needless additional hurdles.
Important safeguards would face time-consuming, costly new burdens – burdens that would fall on the public, on businesses, and anyone trying to participate in the decision-making process.
These additional, costly hurdles will give powerful interests that can afford expensive lawyers a leg up in the rulemaking process – allowing them to delay and obstruct protections they don’t like, as well as boosting their chances of fighting in court – while tilting the playing field against everyone else.
Find out what’s at stake
- Red tape and over-reach: That is the Regulatory Accountability Act, in a word – and a graphic
- EDF Action letter to the Senate on the Regulatory Accountability Act [PDF]
- New but not improved: This bill would severely threaten TSCA implementation and many other vital health protections
- Regulatory Accountability Act would wrap red tape around our most important health and safety protections
- Less Science, More Cost: Why the Misguided “Secret Science” Bill Is Bad Policy
- Congress just fixed TSCA – yet is now gearing up to re-impose the worst flaws of the old law across the entire Federal government
- EDF Action letter to Congress on HONEST Act [PDF]
- EDF Action letter to Congress on SAB Reform Act [PDF]
Spread the Word
We can't afford to stay silent while Congress puts critical safeguards at risk.
Retweet EDF Action to share Congress’ unprecedented and dangerous plan.
Click to view full-size graphic
Click to view full-size ad [PDF]
Tell Congress to protect America's children by standing up for our safegaurds.Take Action